I’ve always been a romantic at heart. I love love, I love being in love, and I love being loved.
When I was younger, Valentine’s Day was everything — more than Christmas and birthdays combined — because it was the one day of the year when all my feelings (and, hopefully, all my boyfriend’s feelings) were put on the table. Maybe we would even say our first “I love yous”!
But as I got older, I started to care less. And it seems like a lot of women these days feel the same way. So is Valentine’s Day dead? Perhaps. Here’s why my husband and I don’t celebrate the holiday.
1. One day doesn’t make up for the other 364. Telling your partner how you feel should be something ongoing. You can’t just go all out on Feb. 14 and then be lax about it for the rest of the year.
2. Just because everyone else is celebrating doesn’t mean you have to. I used to roll my eyes so hard at my mom for saying this when I was a kid, but really: if everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you do it too? Romance should never be forced — do it on your own time.
3. The pressure. Everyone is under pressure when Valentine’s Day rolls around. What does your partner expect? How much should you both spend? What if her present isn’t as extravagant as what her friends got from their significant others? It’s not a competition, but it starts to feel like one.
4. It kinda seems tacky. There’s something icky about how over the top Valentine’s Day is. So many red love hearts and teddy bears! It’s such a crazy display that it almost takes away from the original idea, which was simply to tell someone how much you love them.
5. It’s expensive. Long-stem roses, gift, fancy dinner, hotel room: by the time you add up the cost, we’re pinching pennies until payday! Did you know roses cost 30 to 50 percent more on Valentine’s Day? That cash would be better spent on a weekend away.
6. Romance on any other day is way better. Showering someone with love on a day that isn’t a Hallmark holiday means so much more. It means we’re not doing it just because everyone else is, but because we want to do something special for each other!