If that wasn’t bad enough the tapeworm was five and a half FEET long. Let that sink in for a moment.
(Want the day’s biggest news and trending stories delivered to your inbox? Sign up for our “So This Happened” newsletter.)
Apparently, the man told the doctor that he eats salmon sashimi daily from various local sushi spots. Because of the size of the tapeworm, Banh noted that it probably had been growing for at least six months.
The news story shows images of the tapeworm laid out on a couple paper towels—and it’s just as gross as you’d expect. (Look at your own risk!)
The sushi-parasite connection is real, folks. You can get worms, or parasites, from eating raw or undercooked fish or squid, according to the Centers for Disease Control. If you eat infected fish, you also get a dose of larvae, which then take over your digestive tract. The CDC points out that in one specific type of disease called Anisakiasis, people may feel tingling when eating the sushi, which is an indication that a worm is moving around in your mouth or throat. (Ew, we know.)
A study in BMJ Case Reports in 2017 points out that cases of Anisakiasis is on the rise in Western countries as more people are eating sushi. The research chronicled the case of a 32-year-old man who had severe stomach pain, vomiting, and a low-grade fever. He said that he recently ate sushi. Tests found he had a parasite. Typically, Anisakiasis is treated by removing the worm.
Watch a hot doctor explain why that stubborn bruise won’t heal:
The Food and Drug Administration has suggestions on how to avoid parasites in sushi. The most fool-proof method is cooking your fish. Bummer, we know, but you can get yummy cooked sushi, like poached salmon rolls. Freezing the raw fish first may also work, but the effectiveness depends on several factors, like time it was frozen and temperature—and that relies on you trusting that your sushi spot is doing things right.